The following provides an effective description of planning and by inference the role that planners play in advancing these purposes on behalf of their employers and clients.
The purposes of the Planning Act in Ontario as stated in Section 1.1 of the Act are:
- to promote sustainable economic development in a healthy natural environment within the policy and by the means provided under this act;
- to provide for a land use planning system led by provincial policy;
- to integrate matters of provincial interest in provincial and municipal planning decisions;
- to provide for planning processes that are fair by making them open, accessible, timely and efficient;
- to encourage co-operation and co-ordination among various interests;
- to recognize the decision-making authority and accountability of municipal councils in planning.